Use our best build guide for Paladin BG3 and learn about its best race, skills, subclass & more that can make you a strong player in the game.
Paladins are a bit tricky to play in Baldur’s Gate 3, but they can be a great choice if you want to be a tough warrior who can also heal and bring some strategic thinking to your group. They have different Oaths that give them special powers and spells.
To make a strong Paladin BG3, you need to pick the right race, skills, background, and subclass. These choices will determine how powerful and effective your Paladin can be in the game. So, let’s focus on those aspects to create the best character in Paladin BG3.
Best Paladin BG3 Race
Even though Ability Scores aren’t impacted by race anymore, racial traits remain essential in shaping your character’s advantages in the Faerun world. If you’re considering playing as a Paladin BG3, we suggest choosing from the following races:
- High Half-Elf
- Mephistopheles Tiefling races
For this Paladin BG3 build, it’s all about being versatile and mobile. To achieve that, consider choosing either a Human or a High Elf as your race. Both offer valuable advantages like extra weapon proficiency, allowing you to wield powerful weapons found in the game.
Furthermore, the High Elf comes with Darkvision, enhancing your vision in the dark. Whereas the Human offers an additional skill, adding even more utility to your character. These race choices will make your Paladin adaptable and resourceful on the Sword Coast.
CHECK OUT: Best Baldur’s Gate 3 Bard Spells
Best Subclass for Paladin BG3
Paladins in Baldur’s Gate 3 have four subclasses, each suited to a different playstyle:
- Oath of Devotion: Ideal for support with added damage using Holy Rebuke when enemies attack your character.
- Oath of Vengeance: Great for dealing high damage with Inquisitor’s Might, which boosts your weapon damage and can daze enemies for crowd control.
- Oath of the Ancients: Offers early-game healing through Healing Radiance, providing a well-rounded choice.
- Oathbreaker: This subclass is also available, offering a darker and more destructive path for Paladins.
Among these paladin BG3 classes, we recommend you choose the Oath of the Ancients. This subclass offers Healing Radiance. This is a valuable ability that can heal both you and your allies for 5 hit points, making it a useful class feature.
CHECK OUT: Best Baldur’s Gate 3 Warlock Spells
Best Background for Paladin BG3
For a Paladin BG3 background, the Folk Hero background is a top pick because it gives you skills in Handle Animal and Survival, which can be really handy.
Another good choice is the Outlander background. Baldur’s Gate 3 offers 13 backgrounds that not only add depth to your character’s story but also provide skill bonuses.
If you want a strong Paladin, consider going with the Soldier background. It provides proficiency in Athletics and Intimidation, which are crucial skills for this class and will help you greatly during the game.
Best Spells for Paladin BG3
Following are some of the best spells for a Paladin BG3:
- Level 1: Command
- Level 1: Compelled Duel
- Level 1: Shield of Faith
- Level 2: Heroism
- Level 2: Protection from Evil and Good
- Level 2: Magic Weapon
- Level 2: Branding Smite
- Level 3: Blinding Smite
- Level 3: Remove Curse
- Level 3: Revivify
Best Multiclass Options for Paladin BG3
Two of the best multiclass options for the Paladin are:
- Paladin and Bard: Combining Paladin and Bard in a multiclass is a smart move, especially as you level up. Paladins are strongest at level seven, and then you can focus on Bard for five more levels. This gives you lots of new spells and lets you be a versatile character. You can heal and support your team with spells like Healing Word and Bardic Inspiration, making you a valuable asset in battles.
- Paladin and Barbarian: A Paladin can do two things: cast spells and fight in the front lines. When you multiclass with Barbarian, you focus on being a tough fighter. The Paladin’s high defense and Barbarian’s big health pool make you a great tank and damage dealer. You stand at the front, taking down enemies fast. Plus, you can heal yourself with Paladin spells while fighting, making you a strong one-person force on the battlefield.
Best Paladin BG3 Build
In Baldur’s Gate 3, Oath of Vengeance Paladins must always go after Evil and defeat wrongdoers. Keeping their oath is crucial to maintain their special powers and avoid becoming an Oathbreaker. Pay attention to dialogues that reflect these values. Paladins excel with Divine Smite, a powerful attack that deals massive damage to Evil enemies. Use it wisely since it’s limited each day, reserving it for tough enemies.
- Race: High Half-Elf
- Skills: Athletics, Insight, and Intimidation
- Subclass: Oath of the Ancients
- Background: Soldier, Folk Hero, and Outlander
- Ability order from highest to lowest: Charisma, Strength, Constitution, Dexterity, Wisdom, Intelligence
|1||Actions: Lay on Hands, Divine Sense; Subclass: Oath of the Ancients|
|2||Spells: Command, Compelled Duel; Fighting Style: Duelling|
|3||Spell: Shield of Faith|
|4||Spell: Heroism, Protection from Evil and Good; Ability Improvement: Charisma +2|
|5||Spells: Magic Weapon|
|6||Aura of Protection|
|7||Spell: Branding Smite|
|8||Ability Improvement: Strength +2|
|10||Lay on Hands and Charge Aura of Courage|
|11||Improved Divine Smite; Spell: Blinding Smite|
For constant updates, keep following Gamevro.