Looking for the best BG3 Warlock build? Look no further as we guide you through the race, skills, subclass, and other important aspects to consider for your character.
Warlocks are a special type of character in games like Dungeons & Dragons and Baldur’s Gate 3. They are a mix of strong fighters and spellcasters like wizards, which can be tricky to decide how to play. Unlike other magic users, BG3 Warlock gains their powers from pacts with supernatural beings, giving them special abilities and spells. They’re also good at charming and influencing others because of their charisma.
In this guide, you will discover the ultimate BG3 Warlock build—complete with the ideal race, subclass, spells, and more—to forge your path in the game.
Best BG3 Warlock Race
There are many races available, but three of them are the best choice for a BG3 Warlock — Half-Elf, Asmodeus Tiefling, and Drow.
Half-Elves have two special things: Fey Ancestry, which makes them good with magic, and they can see well in the dark. Half-Elf has specific features:
- Base Racial Speed: Your natural speed is 9 meters every turn.
- Civil Militia: You are skilled with spears, pikes, halberds, and glaives, and can use light armor and shields.
- Darkvision: You can see clearly in darkness up to 12 meters.
- Fey Ancestry: You are good at resisting being charmed, and magic cannot make you fall asleep.
Asmodeus Tieflings are connected to Nessus, which is the lowest part of Hell, and Asmodeus. Because of this, they can use special magic linked to fire and darkness. When you’re a special type of creature called an Asmodeus Tiefling, you get some special abilities:
- Hellish Rebuke (you get this when you’re level 3): Once in a while, when someone hurts you, you can make them feel like they’re surrounded by fiery flames. It’s like a magic fire that comes from you. But you can only do this one time before taking a long rest.
- Flame Blade (you get this when you’re level 5): Every now and then, you can make a flaming sword appear in your hand. This sword is really hot and can hurt enemies with fire. It also makes a bright light around you. But remember, you can only do this once before you need a long rest. Also, you can put away the sword and take it out again, but you have to keep it close to you.
Drows are fictional characters. There are two different kinds of drow — Seldarine Drow, and Lolth-Sworn Drow. But they mainly help make the stories more interesting. Both kinds of drow can do the same things, but they have different eye colors.
You can pick from three choices, but we suggest selecting the Drow because they have better night vision, a helpful boost for avoiding dangers, and a useful magic spell called Faerie Fire once they reach level 3.
Best BG3 Warlock subclass
In the BG3 Warlock subclass, the Great Old One is a good choice. This is because it lets you cast spells to control and help. In the game, having good friends is more important than just being really strong. You want to make good opportunities to beat enemies quickly.
The other options are also good, but it’s up to you if you want to stop enemies or get more health when you defeat them.
Best BG3 Warlock skills
Being a BG3 Warlock, your Charisma is super important. So, you should work on getting better at things that use this stat. We suggest these skills:
- Sleight of Hand: Sleight of Hand is actually a skill that relies on Dexterity, not Charisma. Skills show how good you are at a certain part of your abilities. When you’re skilled in something, it means you’re really focused on that specific thing.
- Acrobatics: Acrobatics is more about how flexible and nimble you are, which is related to your Dexterity. Skills are like parts of your abilities, and being good at a skill shows that you’re focused on that particular part.
- Stealth: Stealth belongs to the Dexterity skill. Skills show how good you are at different parts of your abilities. Being skilled means you’re focused on that specific part.
To get better at certain BG3 Warlock skills, you can pick a background that gives them to you. For example, if you choose the Urchin background, you’ll automatically know how to do Sleight of Hand and Stealth stuff. And don’t stress about learning Intimidation, Deception, and Persuasion right away, because you’ll naturally learn them when you reach level 2.
CHECK OUT: Best Karlach Build in Baldur’s Gate 3
Best BG3 Warlock spells
BG3 Warlocks use magic, but they don’t use as many spells as Druids, Wizards, Sorcerers, or Bards. Still, there are some really cool spells you should know about, especially if you want to control enemies:
- Cantrip: Eldritch Blast
- Cantrip: Poison Spray
- 1st Level: Hex
- 1st Level: Tasha’s Hideous Laughter
- 1st Level: Dissonant Whispers
- 1st Level: Charm Person
- 2nd Level: Crown of Madness
- 2nd Level: Phantasmal Force
- 3rd Level: Hunger of Hadar
- 3rd Level: Grant Flight
- 3rd Level: Counterspell
- 3rd Level: Remove Curse
- 4th Level: Dimension Door
- 4th Level: Banishment
- 4th Level: Blight
- 5th Level: Hold Monster
Best BG3 Warlock Multiclass Options
Baldur’s Gate 3 is a really cool game, especially because of something called multiclassing. This means you can mix and match different roles for your character. Right now, there are 12 main types of characters you can be, and each of those has 46 special variations you can choose from. But there are two best options:
1. Warlock / Sorcerer
Lots of Dungeons & Dragons players like to combine Warlock and Sorcerer abilities. This mix is super strong in Baldur’s Gate 3 too. You get cool spells from the Sorcerer and good armor from the Warlock. This makes you a super powerful magic user in the game.
2. Paladin / Sorcerer / Warlock
In BG3 Warlock, It’s usually not recommended to mix three different classes because the highest level you can reach is 12. However, this combination is so strong that it’s tough to ignore.
Start with the Paladin as your main focus. They’re great at fighting and can also heal really well if necessary. Then, add in the Sorcerer who has strong spells for causing damage. Lastly, the Warlock brings powerful attacks and a useful spell that can be used in many situations. The best part is that all three classes use Charisma as their main ability.
By blending these classes, you can create a character that excels in various aspects and dominates in the game.
CHECK OUT: Best Shadowheart Build in Baldur’s Gate 3
Best BG3 Warlock Build
Race: Drow or Half-Elf
Skills: Acrobatics, Insight
Ability (High to low): Charisma, Dexterity, Constitution, Strength, Intelligence, Wisdom
|Subclass: The Great Old One; Cantrips: Eldritch Blast, Blade Ward; Spells: Hex, Tasha’s Hideous Laughter
|Eldrich Invocation: Repelling Blast and Agonising Blast; Spell: Armor of Agathys
|Pact Boon: Pact of the Chain; Spell: Cloud of Daggers
|Ability Improvement: Charisma +2; Spells: Cantrip; Hellish Rebuke — 2nd Level – Phantasmal Force
|Deepend Pact; Eldritch Invocation: Sign of ill Omen; Spell: Hunger of Hadar
|Eldritch Invocation: Mast of Many Faces; Spell: Edvard’s Black Tentacles
|Ability Improvement: Charisma (max out) or Dexterity; Spell: Dominate Beast or Banishment
|Eldritch Invocation: Repelling Blast; Spell: Remove Curse or Telekinesis
|Cantrip: Poison Spray; Spell: Grant Flight or Dominate Person
|Mystic Arcanum; Spell: Hold Monster
|Feat: Mobile; Spell: Blight
For constant updates, keep following Gamevro.